Troubleshooting Your HVAC Problem in New Haven
We’ve Got the Solutions You’re Seeking
Though it’s always best to entrust you HVAC matters to a trusted team like Modern Heating and Air Conditioning, there are a few steps you can take to ensure there isn’t a simple solution before giving us a call.
Air Conditioner Won’t Cool
If your AC is running but not cooling down your home – or if it is not turning on at all – you’ll certainly want to try troubleshooting the problem to see if it can be resolved with a quick fix.
We recommend that you:
- Inspect your thermostat. Make sure the temperature on the thermostat is programmed lower than the temperature of the room. You should also make sure that the switch is on the “cool” or “auto” position.
- Lower the thermostat to the lowest possible temperature setting to see if the AC will turn on.
- Check the air filter. If you have not recently replaced the air filter or if it looks dirty, it might need to be changed. If you recently changed the air filter and it is clean, there could be a different problem.
- Check all registers and make sure none of them are blocked or closed.
- Check the power switch by both the indoor and outdoor units.
- Inspect the fuse/breaker at your electrical panel
If you still have problems, call Modern Heating and Air Conditioning!
Heater Not Working
If your heater appears to be running but your home still feels cold, it’s time to troubleshoot the problem. These tips also apply if your heating system is failing to turn on altogether.
No matter what type of heating system you have, you should:
- Check your thermostat. Make sure the temperate selected on the temperature control panel is higher than the current temperature of the room. Also make sure the thermostat is set to “heat” or “auto.”
- Raise the temperature on the thermostat as high as it will go to try to get the unit to turn on.
- Check your air filter. If it is dirty or old, it might be blocking air flow and need to be replaced.
- Make sure all registers are open and not blocked.
- Check all power disconnect switches.
- Check the fuse/breaker at the electrical panel
- Gas furnace: You should also check the gas control valve and the pilot light
- Oil furnace: Make sure you have fuel oil
- Gas/oil boiler: Check the pilot light, make sure you have fuel oil, or check to make sure the gas control valve is open
Digital Thermostat Not Working
Is your thermostat giving you problems? Even these units are prone to the occasional issue requiring repair or maintenance. If your thermostat seems to be malfunctioning, we can help.
We recommend that you:
- Consult with a digital thermometer to check if the temperature matches the thermostat’s reading. If there is a discrepancy, there might be an issue with your thermostat’s room temperature sensor.
- Try to recalibrate the room temperature. Consult your thermostat’s instruction manual or call the manufacturer if you’re not sure how to recalibrate.
- Check all thermostat connections.
If these troubleshooting tips aren’t solving the problem or if you have a different type of HVAC problem you need help with, Modern Heating and Air Conditioning is happy to help. Our New Haven heating and AC technicians are just a phone call away when you need us to troubleshoot for your home or business.